Wednesday, 14 April 2021
Blog from Nnamdi Nwakanma, Head of Compliance at Reside
We have very high standards when it comes to electrical testing to ensure the safety of our tenants. It is important that we check any electrical installation in our properties is safe to use, and we look out for damage and wear and tear that might affect safety, and report it. We also check for anything that might cause electrical shocks and high temperatures which can lead to injuries and fires. We use electricians from a suitably approved company who will test and inspect the fixed electrical installations such as wiring, plug sockets, light fittings, fuse boxes, electric showers and extractor fans.
We welcomed the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 legislation last year, which made it mandatory to carry out Electrical Condition Install Report (EICR) inspections tests and inspections. We carry these out every five years. Not only is this process in line with best practice in the industry, it’s cost efficient too. We also conduct a bi-annual property safety inspection as well.
To avoid injury, appliances and equipment at our properties such as televisions, fridges, freezers, kettles and toasters must have annual Portable Appliance Testing (PAT). We check for electrical defects by visual examination and equipment testing.
Following an EICR inspection and testing, these are our next steps:
- We receive a report which gives the results of the inspection and test and the date of the next one due
- We supply a copy of the report to the tenant within 28 days of the inspection and test
- We share a copy of the report to the company carrying out the next inspection and test
- We provide a copy of the most recent report to any new tenant in the property on sign up; and any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request in writing for it
What can you do to help?
In between inspection visits, you could help us with the following and report any problems:
- Keep your electricity meter equipment free of clutter and check for signs of damage and overheating
- Check fixtures and fittings such as plug sockets, light fittings and switches for signs of damage or overheating